Keeping Your Bedroom Cool in the Summer Months
As the temperature rises throughout the summer it may not be all that easy for keeping your bedroom cool as you sleep. There’s nothing worse than trying to get some shut eye in a hot bedroom, which is why we have compiled a list of handy tips to keeping your bedroom cool during the warmer summer months.
- A good air conditioning unit can make a massive difference to the temperature in your bedroom. Having cool, fresh air blowing around your bedroom is the ideal way to keeping your bedroom cool as the temperature rises outside. You don’t need to invest a fortune to have an AC unit installed but you do need the space for one. If you are considering having a bedroom makeover or a new fitted bedroom, planning for an air conditioning unit is relatively easy, so make sure that you discuss this with your contractor before you put plans into action.
However, not everyone has the budget or the available space for an integrated air conditioning system. If this is the case for you, don’t despair, as there are many portable units that can make the difference between sweating, tossing and turning all night or having a great night’s sleep in the height of the summer.
Blinds and Curtains:
- The windows of your bedroom act in the same way as the glass panels in a greenhouse; they magnify the sun’s rays and create heat. A good way to eliminate such heat is to close blinds and curtains during the daytime. This will keep the temperature down significantly, giving you a more ambient feel in the room at bedtime.
DIY Air Con:
- As we aren’t exactly blessed with continued tropical temperatures during the summers in Britain, it may not be worth the expense of installing air conditioning just to keep you cool for the odd night here and there. However, you can make your own DIY air con unit by simply placing a bowl of ice in front of a fan, which then blows cooler air around your room instead of simply recycling the same warm air over and over again.
Keep It Cotton:
- Another great idea for keeping cool at night time during the warm summer months is to replace all of your bedding with 100% pure cotton bedding. Cotton is a natural fibre that transfers heat away from your body as you sleep, unlike man made fibres like polyester, which are less breathable and which trap heat within them. Sure, polyester may be ideal in the cold winter months but in the summer it’s all about the cottons.
COLD Water Bottle:
- Although they may be less frequently found these days, hot water bottles are a great way to keep warm in the winter but have you ever considered reversing their benefit? Simply fill your hot water bottle with cold water and pop it into the freezer until bedtime. Now, instead of keeping you warm as you sleep, your hot water bottle will actually cool you down.
Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!
Our final tip for keeping your bedroom cool during the summer months is a simple but effective tip – drink plenty of water. Warmer bedrooms encourage us to sweat more as we sleep and therefore keeping hydrated is the ideal way to counteract this unwanted warmth. Try drinking a glass of water before bed and then keeping a glass of water by your bedside for those times when you become a little parched during the night.